Thursday 7 May 2015

Line of Enquiring


south pier silver
The final week before Easter has again let me show how my context is being more considered. But now I’m finding out which key image I want to take further into a possible colour palette as well as how I can achieve my design through prints.
From my group crit it was clear that the wallpaper context was strong but I needed some market research to help, as it’s very easy to suggest wallpaper of some sort, but what concept? Interiors? In this case yes interiors is the key to my idea but more of a feature wallpaper of some sort. As I could not have numerous pieces so it could not be a pattern wallpaper that matches, I was thinking more towards a column that some apartments or spaces have in there modern houses nowadays. Because of the scale I thought it was easier to find a concept like modern interior to help fit.

sketch book

Reactive dyes was a suggestion because of my marks through the use of colour, (after Easter is when I can attend a workshop). It was the work shop of foiling that really made me think more of my colour palette. (silver image) from the south pier as seen the metallic involved in this image and from my work (2nd image from sketchbook) made me head towards that palette more from how I can achieve this effect still as well as whilst I originally started drawings from these photographs I had more of a ‘connection’ to the silver image, I felt more enthused by it and wanted to really recreate this tone of silver whereas the others I did not get into as much. So in my mind now I feel the silver palette is the one but then it’s hard to decide right now as still being in early stages of development.

Looking back on this week I do feel a lot more confident as the body of work has come on as I have been generating a few designs (images 3, 4 ) which are from mainly photocopied images of my drawings to which I have had a play with to look for different compositions and to see if my ideas would actually come together.  Easter is where I’m setting myself targets to complete for when I return. I need to pick for definite the colour palette, to then when focused on this colour palette to do a further more designs. I just need to keep my development on going at all times I feel, I need more than just one design I need multiple to choose from just to show I have explored different compositions and different ways to my designs.

photocopy 4
photocopy 3












Returning back, I felt like I had definitely explored many possible designs ideas for a final piece. In the images some are from photocopies of my original drawings that I pieced together to create new designs which I added my ‘rows’ deigns into, some of the designs I worked with I had to think a lot about composition of how the ‘rows’ could still be effective from being strong colours. So some designs I striped back to make simpler which I included the rows with. The images I class as digital I feel are very strong and would of looked more effective if my work could have been paper based but because I could not I tried to work back into using paint. As can see in the images I chosen the silver palette so from the paint designs I created greyish/ silver tones. The body of work I produced I felt confident with.

Being the first group crit back from Easter I explained how my pallet is now the silver palette and from over Easter explained in ‘Window Display’ blog I liked the idea of creating a window display piece but with the use of fabric and what kind of techniques I’m wanting to use in my work being reactive dyes, foiling, screen printing and possibly embroidery. The feedback given it was clear I had shown enough development from thinking about deigns but I just needed to stick to one deign. Also it seemed like the colour palette had been lost somewhere, possibly in the busyness of the designs to which made me loose the original concept of isolation clashing with the ‘rows’. I admit I did get carried away to which made me loose the original purpose.


silver palet paint
silver palet paint
Rows composition
As can see in my first scanned images (research) the photo copier picked up some unusual colours which worked. So from that I need to look back at these photocopied images and feed the colour out of them to add some colour back into my work again. The task in hand is to recreate a colour palette and finalise my final designs by Monday ready to present for the big group crit.



No comments:

Post a Comment