Thursday 19 February 2015

Construct- Knit

Being introduced to construct was an interesting word, the word construct interest me of what can you construct? To then which went further to knit. The first week seeing the machines to which we were going to be using for the next 3 weeks and to then have workshops of all these techniques you can create on the machines. The machines do test your patience... But for me it was the drawing days which I enjoyed the most of creating colour wheels and really identifying colour in depth by mixing gouache by hand and spotting out other colours which then made me relate back to the original photos taken to see if colour was missed, which it was. It was the proportion of the colour I needed to get right especially through the knits to relate back to the work I was trying to produce. Mark making on the drawing day using mono printing and using objects to create marks was straight forward as that’s what I enjoy, but trying to relate that into knit? I couldn’t think of how I could achieve what I can do on paper into a knit.

Knitting on the machines I felt was much easier than doing it by hand, but that’s my personal opinion. It’s fair to say I’m not a knitter from how I struggled to try and make it relate to my photos and drawings and especially to keep the knit on. But I have worked back into knit now and have drawn from my knits and I feel more confident with the body of work.                                                                                                                                                During the 3 weeks of construct, I have realised it’s a very technical process to get the hang of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment