Thursday 19 February 2015

'Everyday Superheroes'

‘Everyday superheroes’ it brought fun, pop art, Andy Warhol and Peter(my dad) into my mind, it was easy having all those ideas in my mind but to get me
going was not so easy. During the week it been a struggle. It’s not motivation, it’s getting going. Producing a mood board to help generate the ideas to which that should be the start of development... Googling the definition of ‘Everyday superheroes’, asking others on social media just to get the ball rolling...
Week 2- Still not confident with the idea, the artists I looked at have inspired me of not going for the approach they have done of basing them on original superheroes or 1970s women to then embroidery artist physically embroidering onto magazines or photos, generating an idea is hard at this point. Taking part in the group critic was an eye opener today, seeing everyone’s work has made me realise time isn't on my side at the moment... Samples, drawings starting off their development and I’m still stuck on the word. From the critic I did take strong criticism which I needed to push me now, from the critic I took that I generally need work or a good body of work. Drawing is the focus, drawing the superman logo and to see where that takes me.
I've been focussing on drawing all week, taking from previous embroidery drawing day of continuous lines and blind quick second to 1 minute drawings of this logo, looking at the drawings they look more like patterns with the same colour theme and placing of the colours, humour to communicate the smallness of the logo which is placed on peters chest, the context is more like its designs for tattoos but more patterned tattoos which is where the humour is involved even more of having a pattern on the chest area. The materials chosen was more to do with superhero costumes of stretchy, strong, tight and bright material which combined with your usual cotton or linen, the designs produced reminded me of Peter Mondrian’s work from the blue, yellow and red being used and the shapes. This week I pushed to aim for 10-15 samples to prove to myself I can do this.
It’s the last week what has really inspired me, being the Tuesday of group crits it was a different approach of looking at previous students work and talking through them and seeing what they did, how and why and what they are doing now... This is what inspired me as you could see it’s what they loved doing, they made a brief there own, so why aren't I? That’s what I asked. I wrote down what I love, I know what I love doing as that’s why I'm doing this course. Having one to one feedback of looking at the work I quickly produced it was so clear it was not me, I have no passion for shapes or neat composition’s. My passion is layers, collage, madness of colour, strong mark makings what was in my sketch book was me but not the samples- no connection at all.
The context now from my work has changed from how it is not a straight forward everyday tattoo its grounds, simple, textured backgrounds which can still be in the same context as a tattoo design but not as perfect any more or a series of these grounds in a gallery all connecting to each other, just like the comic book superheroes were told from.

‘Everyday superheroes’ the trending word I chose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment