Sunday 27 September 2015

Eliza Bennet

A Woman's Work Is Never Done flesh/ thread



A Woman's Work Is Never Done flesh/ thread



Social media was how I came across Bennet work, and this certain piece really caught my attention.
        ‘A Woman's Work Is Never Done – flesh/ thread
Series of photographs of bennet literally sewing the top layer of her skin to present a worn out working hand, which you would normally see on a man’s hand after a hard days graft doing ‘man’s jobs’.  As bennet talks about her work, it is directed at both genders but who have ‘women jobs’ as she explains the likes of cleaning, caring and catering. But those jobs are hard work and that’s what bennet is hoping her audience understand with this as I say ‘extreme’ way of showing this notion.
I feel I have to talk about this as it really inspired me of how simply it isn’t about media of a pen or pencil and a canvas or paper, using yourself as the art work to which communicates to the audience directly to show how as an artist bennet feels. Its courage which I feel every artist/designer needs to push themselves in their profession- make people talk, make them gossip make them have their opinion and stamp on it just how I’ am by wanting to write about bennet in a positive way, as this work really made me see the bigger picture of how Bennet using this ‘womanly’ way of embroidery to show these sexist humans that embroidery or even women’s work isn’t easy and we do graft as any other human being. I work and go to university that’s two jobs. I may not have worn out hands but I do work as hard as anyone- I never compare I never have and never will as people do have certain work strengths which people can be better than others but I believe everyone tries there best in a job that they love or even like, so for Bennet to create this strong and brave move just gives women and even men a positive and some sort of sense of relief to say “yes I do work hard”

No comments:

Post a Comment