Sunday 27 September 2015

MMU Degree Show.

18th JUNE.  The degree show was defiantly an eye opener for myself, you don’t realise when you attend degree shows or art galleries that these creators have been in the same boat as myself, they all started off as first years, confused of what pathway they may take, what risks they may take, and most likely doubted there selves and the style of how they communicate- does it fit in the real world?
Walking through benzie just how I normally do, walking towards the textile department ready to see what this studio has transformed into. It was creative. The whole transformation was creative and to then see the work flow together was even more creative. Walking up the floors seeing the likes of graphics and film was different. Even being in the same building you don’t tend to go up any floors especially to graphics or films floor. But the stuff they had created was on par with textiles. The rooms were so bright and well coloured and seeing the hard work and dedication towards these artworks was very moving.

The first work that caught my eye was a textile in practice student named Annie Baker. The picture shown is Baker work that was presented at the show.  
This piece was just my style. It’s simple but yet a lot of work went into this outcome, the lines which are hand painted are so crisp and bold and would fit into a modern interior. In the bio Baker mentions her interest in surface and textiles which is a strong interest of mine also. Mark making is key to her work to be a wallpaper designer and you can clearly see this in her work that the mark making is how she communicates. In the bio its interesting of how she is wanting to became a wallpaper designer of designing/working with a high-end company or creating her own brand- me wanting to go down the same field as Baker is very useful information of me not knowing many high end companies is very useful source for me. Be very positive to hear of Annie baker’s success and wish her all the best in her career as a wallpaper designer.
Annie Barker
 
3D design students created this exciting and ‘funky’ piece of work. When I saw it for the first time it just caught my eye straight away I thought “Oh wow. That looks funky” I just think it’s beautiful. The colour, the ‘fringing’ it’s just so very contempary for 2015 especially having fringing to it- everyone loves a good fringe. The colours being so bold and in your face just cheer up a gloomy day.

I didn’t know if you could or could not sit on these chairs but I didn’t want to test the theory in case I broke one- but to me wanting to sit on these chairs/ sun loungers I felt it captured its audience as that is the purpose of wanting to sit and use them for day to day intentions. They just look so comfy and very classy all ideas of using them and where they could be placed were in my head. Just loved them. What I took from this art work was clientele. This work was done for a purpose it was produced to a certain standard, clients asked them, gave these students a brief to work to and from reading the bio, these students certainly pushed the bar.

3D Design students 50/50 seating project
 Farzana Ullah. Wow. Literally took my breath away, I didn’t know what to do I felt like I needed to touch it, stroke it, take picture or take it home. This piece is incredible.
This piece looks like wallpaper but a twist it’s a very interactive wallpaper. Like I said Wow. That is what you say literally straight away and you embrace it a little more and realise this piece has a 3D element to it- just want to touch it! The colours the texture the surface of it all is amazing and for a wallpaper to be that interactive is incredible... the only thought was where would its cliental be? Would it be Gallery or interiors?
I love layers. Layering and layering all day is ideal for me and to see this standard of layering is breath taking. I just couldn’t believe it. With Ullah work it is beautiful but only Ullah could do that where for me it is too complicated and over powering but to look at is lovely but not my style. From Ullah work I do take inspiration of knowing if I keep the layering and texture on going I could possible produce work to a similar standard and that’s what I like to think.
Farzana Ullah
The students I have spoken about have let me have an insight to what I could achieve one day and its exciting but scary, but all of them have gave me advice from the works of be original keep to your strengths but as well take the risk by collaborating and keep to how you communicate through the use of textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment