Tuesday 9 February 2016

Locating:Self initiated- 05 Tutorial

Arranged a tutorial with Alex so he knows I’m on track.
I got mixed response really as it was clear I had this figurative approach to the designs but where they for my own benefit or not? Was my concept meant to be visible? I honestly could not answer the questions given as found them hard to understand... so I had to make a decision. Abstract/Scandinavian designs OR Beastie inspired work/ quirky... 
From that decision we talked on how I can do 2 collections – A mini collection of the figurative designs & the main collection being minimal mark making to which with two collections I will need two colour pallets as they aren’t the same any more.. So the mini would consist of the colours chosen already and the new collection will be based on minimal, abstract designs. To take the minimal further I’m needing more marks to create so having to go back into my drawings and photos to generate enough stuff to have a play and work with.  
From the marks that I create, Alex has suggested before that the way I work is very Danish and Scandinavian from how I use my marks. Suggested companies:
-          Jab Anstoetz                         
-          Kendix.nl
-          Almedahls
-          Kvadrat.dk
-          Marimekko
-          Eco.se
Eco was suggested on how they work with the composition, they arrange the work not just an ordinary wallpaper to give the designs more of a minimal feel. Which I never thought about before of me arranging the motifs to where I want them instead of putting them straight into a basic repeat pattern.

I have heard of a few of these companies and especially Marimekko from the last unit who as I company I’m really interested in their designs. If my work caters to the European market more I’m needing to design for that market from now on and look more into the European companies to be inspired by instead of the British market.
Research into Eco and Marimekko.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment