Monday 18 April 2016

UNIT X - EDUCATOR: PLACEMENT PREP & TUTORIAL

Placement prep in full swing getting ready for our first placement tomorrow @ Daca.
forms need to be signed by us and the school once visited, a workshop proposal form we had to fill out, where health and safety forms are involved and have to be signed and dated etc...
The crib sheet from Daca was given, full of information on where the school is, who to contact and generally the structure of the day of times to start and finish, we compared Daca crib sheet to St.James crib sheet and you can see the relaxation in daca's. As Anna produced the crib sheet for us it was information picked up over the years and past experience and herself comparing St.James and dacas.
I liked how Daca's information was more relaxed approach as it made me feel more at ease of walking into my first placement.
Whilst at the placement we were asked to look at teaching observations and whilst there to look at different styles of teaching:
Teaching styles- the way the teachers work with students
Types of activity- what kinds of activities are the teachers using?
Levels of ability- what is the range in a class, how is the same task tackled?
Classroom management- what happens when someone is naughty? good? upset?
School set up- how is the day structured, what are the classrooms like?
Your hit list: what are you most concerned about and how best can you observe it?
For my hit list I wanted to look at levels of ability on how well do they handle students who learn differently- a student who was like me in school, on how they could control the situation that they are in with them if they turn around and say "I don't get it" and " I cant do it, its to hard and confusing me" I want to know how they control that divide they have in classrooms of the smart ones and the not so smart ones.
During this session it was to get us ready for the placement to organise amongst ourselves on how were going to commute there and back, where to meet each other etc.
We all planned our times and looked at prices, so we was well organised and ready for the placement.
The session after the placement prep was the group tutorials for the micro teach.
I had thought of a idea finally!!
My 1o minute micro teach LO is to have the students working as a team by being instructed from there partner whilst  creating a simple repeat pattern for a wallpaper design- it sounds simple enough when written but i put a spanner in the works by wanting to partner up the students and have one of them blind folded and the other not - so it basically brought it all down to there communication and team work skills.
When explained this idea in the tutorial everyone seemed to like the idea and liked how fun it sounds, as they were learning a new skill but in  fun way!
I explained how I will explain to the students what a basic repeat design is in wallpaper and have visual aids on the table for them to absorb in..


Visual Aids- Block & Half Drop




Hannah thought that the patterns were  to complex.. but as explained, that's how you do a repeat pattern whilst designing and once drawn on piece of paper to show how simple it really is, she seemed to understand it more then, Also she felt from this complex area that I needed to try it out at home and see for myself..  Whereas I feel that the visual aid is set in stone, its clear that's the only two patterns needed to know which again I will explain so its not that complex?
I have planned my session out as well with the session plan which will be printed out x6 for everyone to look at.
Hopefully the micro teach will go smoothly on wednesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment